H.E.A.D. (Hearing Entirely Artificial Dreams) is a work-in-progress based on artificial head technology ("Kunstkopf-Stereophonie) which allows the transmission of spatial 3D sound over simple headphones. Each piece of this collection is dedicated to a specific location, based on four typical soundscapes that have been found there. Those recordings are mixed algorithmically by a computer program written by Karlheinz Essl which creates an infinite sound process: a dreamlike and surrealistic narration.
As each piece is composed of four different sound scapes, its title consits also of 4 letters - like G.R.A.Z. - which refers to the location where the sound recordings have been made. This title is an acronym which expands into a short mysterious sentence such as Generic Research on Ambient Zones; the interpretation of which, however, is up to the listener.
All recording are captures with the Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset and processed afterwards with Max7 and Karlheinz Essl RTC-lib - a free software library for algorithmic composition in realtime. No mastering, no sound effects!
The four soundscapes are mixed in realtime with an algorithm that is based on an two-dimensional Brownian movements which creates unforeseeable blendings between the sounds. As those transitions are quite slow in order to foster dream-like impressions with paradoxical and surrealistic situations.
G.R.A.Z. (Generic Research on Ambient Zones)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different spots in the city of Graz (Austria), recorded on April 19th, 2018.
1) farmers market near the Opera
2) street crossing at the Stadtpark with cars, motorbikes and bicycles
3) trams, busses and passengers at Jakominiplatz
4) birds and a creek in the park of the Music University with a distant vibraphone.
W.I.E.N. (Where Intelligence Enhances Neuroticism)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different spots in Vienna (Austria), recorded between March and May 2018.
1) Café Mozart near the Opera
2) reading hall of the Austrian National Library
3) children’s playground at Draschepark
4) a pond near Gerasdorf with swimmers and kids
R.E.T.Z. (Restoring Energy Through Zest)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different spots in the region of Retz (Austria), recorded on June 8th, 2018.
1) the main square in the city of Retz
2) Czech people talking in a bar in Šatov
3) birds singing near the river Thaya
4) a so-called "Kellergasse" in Retz
D.U.N.A. (Diluted Units of Natural Atmosphere)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different spots of the Danube Delta in Romania, recorded in May 2018.
1) morning atmosphere near Sulina
2) evening atmosphere near Sulina
3) frog concert with paddle boats in Canal Magearu
4) birds singing at Lacu Iaco
L.U.N.Z. (Lazy Unicorns Nibble Zealously)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different spots made in Lunz (Austria), recorded on August 7th, 2018.
1) hikers escaping an approaching thunderstorm
2) rain and thunder at the courtyard of the castle
3) swimming in the lake
4) ride on an electric canoe through a narrow water canal
R.I.D.E. (Rough Interplay between Dream & Ecstasy)
Generative soundscape based on a random walk between four binaural recordings from different attraction at Prater, the famous amusement park in Vienna, Austria on August 11th, 2018.
1) Achterbahn (outside recording of a rollercoaster)
2) Hochschaubahn (a ride on an vintage rollercoaster which is suited for kids)
3) Geisterbahn (riding on a ghost train)
4) Liliputbahn (a ride on miniature steam locomotive through the park)